Happiness

I’m on the couch in my robe and pj’s, my baby sleeping on my chest. His breathing is so peaceful. I haven’t gotten dressed or done my hair. I was going to do that after he ate, but he fell asleep and I couldn’t let go. I don’t want to. So we’re  listening to music and doing nothing. And even though he’s right here with me, I miss him.

Imagine being so contented with a full belly, clean diaper and warm snuggles. It’s all he wants in the world. His life is so simple and beautiful. Someday he’ll grow up and start Kindergarten, and I’ll have to let him go more and more. But not today. And I’m in no hurry for that day to come. We get one year for our babies to stay babies, and it goes by way too quickly.

Motherhood changed me. I’m a part of him, and he’s a part of me. I can’t stand the idea of anyone ever hurting him. I want to be able to protect him from this scary world. I don’t want him to ever experience heartbreak or pain or fear. I’m powerless to stop life from happening. But I can’t help trying.

This world is constantly changing, and I’m devastated at the way people treat each other. As a mom, I feel more deeply every day the responsibility we have to raise our children to know respect and kindness for others. Parents make their mark on the world through their children.







“Every child comes with the message that God has not yet discouraged of man.” -Rabindranath Tagore


Comments

Popular Posts